Welcome to the Notes from the Grove providing Liberty Grove residents and visitors tidbits of information about goings on in town government.
• The town board unanimously approved the proposed 2010 Budget on Monday, Nov. 16 following the budget hearing and town meeting. The mill rate increases from 1.92 to 1.98 which means an increase over 2009 of .06 cents per $1,000 valuation. A home valued at $100,000 would see a $6 increase. A copy of the budget is posted on the town Web site.
• Following the Nov. 17 construction meeting a walk through and punch list were performed on the new office areas and exterior of the town hall. Furniture was scheduled to arrive on Wednesday, Nov. 18. The staff will begin moving in shortly.
• On Wednesday, Dec. 16 a Ribbon Cutting ceremony is scheduled for 5 pm, followed by an Open House until 7 pm, at which time the first regular town board meeting in the new facility will begin.
• Bud reports the town crew is busy preparing for winter operations. They are stock piling sand for winter use along with preparing equipment for snow plowing and road maintenance. The new 10-ton crane in one of the two bay additions should be operational next week. The new driveway on the north end of the building will provide separate access for trucks and equipment. Public access to the parking area, offices and general meeting room will be provided by the south driveway.
• The town is waiting for a response from the Gills Rock property owners following an initial offer and expects to hear back on Nov. 30. Also, at the Nov. 18 board meeting it was decided to refund all the slip deposits for the proposed Gills Rock Marina, since the marina was separated from the possible purchase of the properties in Gills Rock.
• Old Northwest Research was hired to do the Archaeological Investigations of the recently purchased Hiddings Property, which was deemed an archeological site by the DNR. Weather permitting, this will be accomplished by the end of the year.
• Discussion continued regarding the shooting of firearms on Mink River Road. The board has received many comments from surrounding property owners regarding safety and noise. The town will be communicating with the landowner to pursue a solution to the situation.
• The temporary town offices at the North Fire Station will be closed Nov. 26 and 27 for Thanksgiving. The town hall and offices will be closed Dec. 24 and 25 for the Christmas Holiday.
To contact John Lowry regarding the Town of Liberty Grove or information found within this column, email [email protected] or call the Town of Liberty Grove at 920.854.2934.