The American Library Association (ALA) has announced the winners of this year’s Andrew Carnegie Medals for Excellence in Fiction and Nonfiction and the winners of this year’s ALA Youth Media Awards, including the Newbery and Caldecott Medals. The recipients were revealed at the association’s Midwinter Meeting, held January 25-29 in Seattle. The awards will be presented at the ALA Annual Conference, to be held June 20-25 in Washington, D.C.
This year’s winners are:
• Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Fiction: The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai
• Andrew Carnegie Medal for Excellence in Nonfiction: Heavy: An American Memoir by Kiese Laymon
• John Newbery Medal: Merci Suárez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
• Newbery Honor Books: The Night Diary by Veera Hiranandani and The Book of Boy by Catherine Gilbert Murdock, illustrated by Ian Schoenherr
• Randolph Caldecott Medal: Hello Lighthouse, illustrated and written by Sophie Blackall
• Caldecott Honor Books: Alma and How She Got Her Name, illustrated and written by Juana Martinez-Neal; A Big Mooncake for Little Star, illustrated and written by Grace Lin; The Rough Patch, illustrated and written by Brian Lies; and Thank You, Omu!, illustrated and written by Oge Mora
For a complete list of winners, go to ala.org.