The number of rooms in the home in the Upper Range Light.
The number of schooners damaged by the freak “Alpena Blow” that hit Baileys Harbor on Oct. 15, 1880, when the prevailing northeast winds suddenly switched to south winds.
The number of feet above the waterline the Lower Range Light shone.
The number of years Henry Gattie served as lighthouse keeper, the longest tenure for the job.
The number of feet above the waterline the Upper Range Light shone.
The year the Range Lights were built.
The year Marcus Shaler became the first lighthouse keeper. He resigned his post in 1875, after typhoid fever killed his wife.
The year Joseph Harris, Jr., became lightkeeper. He was the son of the editor of the Door County Advocate. He and his wife, Rosalie, gave birth to the first child born at the Range Lights, a daughter they named Mabel.
The year the lights were switched to an unmanned acetylene gas system.
The year the Range Light buildings were converted to electricity. It became the home of the new Lutheran minister and his family.
The year the land occupied by the Range Lights was deeded to the Door County Park Commission, which planned to build a trailer park on the land. The Ridges Sanctuary was formed the following year to preserve the land.
The year the Sanctuary hired its first director (Roy Lukes), complete with summer housing in the Upper Range Light.
The year the lanterns were removed from the Range Lights and replaced with a directional light near the beach.
The year the Range Lights and associated buildings were placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The year both lantern rooms were reactivated to act agaian as beacons.
The year the restoration of the Lower Range Light was completed.
The year the lights sprang to life again (on June 11).
The year an architect was hired to prepare a report for a full restoration of the Upper Range Light. The first phase of that project was completed last month, and fundraising continues for Phase 2.
The original cost to build the Range Lights.