The Gibraltar Historical Association and Bayside Tavern will celebrate the recent alterations to the well-known establishment on Fish Creek’s Main Street during an event Sept. 28, 2-4 pm, in Fish Creek’s Noble Square.
During the festivities, check out Model A’s from the local Cherryland A’s group; listen to 78-rpm shellac vinyl albums played by DJ David Watkins; see historical images of the Bayside building; share stories and reminiscences; and perhaps expect a few surprises. Take a lawn chair or blanket, your Bayside memories and stories to share, as well as mementos and photos from the past.
The Bayside building was once a schoolhouse headed for demolition when it was moved along Main Street to its current location and became an ice cream and soda parlor. It grew with the addition of a pool room in the back – and was written about in the newspaper more than once for the questionable activities that went on there.
In June of 1934, it received its first Class B liquor license under the ownership of William Pelke, officially became Bill’s Tavern and has been generating good times and memorable stories for locals and visitors ever since.