Navigation

Door County community news from the Peninsula Pulse. Find information about health programs, fundraisers, announcements, and more to keep you in the loop in your community.

• Nor-Door Football Homecoming Revival in Baileys Harbor

Nor-Door Football and a group of Gibraltar alumni are hosting some traditional homecoming festivities at the Baileys Harbor Recreational Park Oct. 8. A group of alumni led by Bill Becker and football coach John Sawyer are holding a celebration Becker called a “homecoming revival” that he hopes will bring alumni and community members out to have fun and support today’s student-athletes.

• Registration for Door County Half Marathon Opens Nov. 1

Registration for the third annual Door County Half Marathon and Nicolet Bay 5k, a run in Door County’s Peninsula State Park, opens Nov. 1. The race has been capped at 1,200 participants for the Half Marathon and 400 for the 5k after attracting over 1,000 registrants in 2009.

• Challenge Walk a Success

The Challenge Walk for Multiple Sclerosis in Door County took place on September 18 – 20. Here, a view of the start line at Ellison Bay Bluff Park on Friday, September 18 where Wisconsin Chapter president Colleen Kalt speaks to the group just prior to the start.

• $40,000 Raised for Children

Edgewood Orchard’s cookbook, An Artist’s Food for the Soul, which was published in early July, has recently reached total sales of $40,000, all of which will be donated to non-profit organizations working to improve children’s lives.

• Sept. 18 – Oct. 2

• October is “Coats for Kids” time at Feed My People/Clothe My People. Anyone wishing to donate a new or gently used coat should drop it off at Tip-Top Cleaners or DeJardin Cleaners in Sturgeon Bay or at the Feed My People/Clothe My People facility at 204 N 14th Avenue.

• America on the Move Week at the YMCA

It’s America on the Move Week at the YMCA Sept. 20 – 27. The YMCA and the America On the Move Foundation are working together to encourage individuals to take small steps to achieve and maintain healthier lifestyles.

• Article posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:58pm

• The Door County Visitor Bureau (DCVB) is working on the 2010 Official Visitor Guide (OVG), due to start distribution on January 4, 2010. The Bureau makes it easy for businesses to participate in this publication, which has a circulation of 240,000 or more.

• Article posted Wednesday, September 16, 2009 2:56pm

• The public is invited to the program “Protect Your Identity and Avoid Being Scammed” on Wednesday, September 23 from 9:45 – 10:45 am. At the presentation to be held at the Sturgeon Bay YMCA, 1900 Michigan Street, attendees will learn how to protect themselves against serious crimes.

• Support Group Listings

Local Support Groups The following list of resource was compiled from the Peninsula Pulse’s events calendar. For future inclusion on this list of Door County support groups please email [email protected]

• High School Sports Schedules

GIBRALTAR VARSITY ATHLETICS • Gibraltar/ Sevastopol Soccer Sept. 21 @ NEW, 4:30pm Sept. 24 vs. Sturgeon Bay, 6:30pm Sept. 28 @ Southern Door, 4:30pm Oct.

• YMCA Labor Day Duathlon and 5K Results

The Door County YMCA’s annual Labor Day Duathlon and 5K was held Sept. 5 in Fish Creek. Complete results are available at www.doorcountyymca.org and clicking on the link at the upper right to “2009 Labor Day Weekend Run & Duathlon Results”.

• Article posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 4:23pm

Grover – Recently, I was surrendered by my owners but am remaining the happy-go-lucky guy I was when I came to the Door County Humane Society. I am hopeful that I will find new owners with lots of love and patience.

• Gibraltar’s Schultz Earns Soccer Success

Devan Schultz of Fish Creek, and her FC Green Bay U-16 Girls State league soccer teammates, returned from the Madison area as Champions of the Waunakee Cup Soccer Tournament held August 22 – 23.

• Door County YMCA Labor Day Weekend Run

The Door County YMCA’s 8th Annual Labor Day Weekend Run is this Saturday, September 5. The annual 5k Run/Walk and quarter-mile children’s race will also have a duathlon for the second year in a row with a 2 mile run/12 mile bike/2 mile run.

• Article posted Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:51am

• The Ridges Sanctuary recently recognized and celebrated its over 200 volunteers at Bjorklunden in Baileys Harbor with food, music, dancing and conversation.

• Keeping it Simple: Door County’s Solar Home Tour

Every October, in conjunction with National Energy Awareness Month, thousands of people venture out into their communities to see how their neighbors are utilizing solar energy to reduce energy costs and do their part to conserve resources and harness Earth’s renewable energy. The event is called the National Solar Tour, organized and put on by […]

• A Long Circuitous Path: Arvid Munson

Arvid waits in the corner of Leroy’s like he is part of the décor, like he belongs, wearing a red and yellow plaid shirt and silver rimmed glasses, in the rustic Ephraim coffee shop. “How will I know it’s you?” I asked when I called to set up the interview. Arvid replied, “Just ask whoever […]

• The Small School Experience in Northern Door: Bigger Isn’t Always Better

The rural school experience is an important part of Americana, the belief that the one-room school in many respects was best. But advocates of a large-school education will point to broader academic curricula, expanded extracurricular choices, better educational facilities, and options for exceptional students to achieve at higher levels. People living in northern Door County, […]

• A Sea of Orchards

Ask almost anyone who grew up in Door County in the 1930s and ’40s if they ever picked cherries, and they’ll have stories to tell…about walking through dewy orchard grass in the early mornings, picking all day in July and August heat with cherry juice running down to their elbows, hauling their 40-pound ladder from […]

• So That’s Where It Stands On That Front, Anyway

There’s always a good reason to go to Washington Island:  an afternoon at Schoolhouse Beach, a bike ride on the back roads, the ferry ride itself – travelling through Porte des Morts and crossing that magical buffer between real life and island life. But the best reason I’ve had lately is to enjoy breakfast with […]