Navigation

Door County community news from the Peninsula Pulse. Find information about health programs, fundraisers, announcements, and more to keep you in the loop in your community.

• Sports Schedule

Door County sports schedule.

• Sun, Sand, and Service

As I start to think about settling in for the winter, my mind immediately darts to one thing – VACATION! I dream of warmth, sunshine, and beaches. I think about relaxing, reconnecting with my family, and focusing on some down time – away from computers, Facebook, and perhaps even my Blackberry (although I make no promises there).

• Door County Humane Society Featured Pets

Redwood is a beautiful calico/tabby. She has a sweet, loveable attitude and would make a great companion! Redwood is between 2 – 4 years old, spayed, and up to date with vaccines.

• Affordable Housing Comes to Sister Bay

Affordable housing is finally coming to Northern Door, courtesy not of a federal or state program, but a De Pere developer. In August, Keith Garot began building the first eight-plex on the 40 acres he owns on the corner of Highway 57 and Country Walk Lane, behind the Greystone Manor apartments.

• Community Quicknotes

“Pumpkins with a Purpose” are for sale at the Door County Habitat for Humanity. The pumpkins were planted, nurtured, and harvested by Habitat’s Women Build volunteers on three acres adjacent to Door County Interiors & Design in Egg Harbor.

• Sports Schedule

Upcoming local sport events.

• Wellness Center Breaks Ground

(Left to right) Board Member, Jane Herlitz; Executive Director, Michele Geiger-Bronsky; and Reproductive Health Nurse Clinician, Jeanne Kuhns peruse the plans for Phase I of the Wellness Center of Door County’s expansion.

• Door Cancer Receives Donation

Robert Geitner, from Door County Tavern League, presented a check for $790 to Kris Husby for Door Cancer. The money was raised at a June golf outing at The Orchards.

Rolla is a fabulous one-year-old spayed female. She is a unique looking tortoiseshell cat with golden eyes who loves to run and play with others.

• HELPline Transitions Into Domestic Abuse Hotline

The HELP of Door County, Inc. Board of Directors has approved the establishment of the Domestic Abuse Hotline to replace the current HELPline beginning January 1, 2011.

• Door County Sports Schedule

Upcoming Door County sporting events.

• Sturgeon Bay Jaycees Host “Punt, Pass, & Kick” Competition

The Sturgeon Bay Jaycees are hosting the local competition for the official NFL/Pepsi “Punt, Pass, & Kick” program on Sunday, September 26. The competition is free and open to all boys and girls age 8 – 15 years.

• Penny Olson Qualifies for National Senior Olympics in Racewalking

Penny Olson took the gold medal for Women’s Racewalking in her age group in the 31st Annual Wisconsin Senior Olympics held at Pulaski High School in Milwaukee.

• Quicknotes

• The 15th Annual Chefs for a Day event will take place Saturday, October 23 at Sturgeon Bay Yacht Club. Doors will open at 6 pm and volunteer servers will be distributing hors d’oeuvres from 6:30 – 7:15 pm.

• Shepherd of the Bay Hosts 3rd World Marketplace

Evelyn Charney and Eva Olson help set up figures in a Haitian Nativity for the Third World Marketplace to be held at Shepherd of the Bay Lutheran Church in Ellison Bay on Saturday, October 2 from 9:30 am – 2:30 pm.

• Finding Relief

The challenges of running a business along with being a full time caregiver had Sue Sherman seeking an opportunity for her mother, who has dementia, to participate in a supervised social setting during the day.

Wain (male, orange tabby), Casta (female, calico/tabby), Black (male, black/white), and Showalter (male, orange tabby) all arrived to the shelter on August 11 and have been a riot ever since.

• Former Packers Sign Autographs

On September 17, Green Bay Packer Hall of Famer and Packer Ice Bowl champs, Marv Fleming (tight-end from 63’-69’ seasons) with, Dave Robinson (All-Pro line-backer from ‘66-’72 seasons) will be at Stone Harbor Resort, 107 N.

• Door County Sports Schedule

Upcoming sporting events

• Quicknotes

• The Community Clinic of Door County (CCDC) held its first-ever fundraising event selling raffle tickets over the course of the summer, culminating in an Open House Gala on Thursday, August 26.