Navigation

Door County community news from the Peninsula Pulse. Find information about health programs, fundraisers, announcements, and more to keep you in the loop in your community.

• Len Villano, Rachel Haas

Rachel Haas: The Cookie Lady

When you hear that the name of a business is Cookie Lady, human nature undoubtedly leads you to picture a matron in an apron – possibly even your mother or grandmother. So it will probably come as a surprise to learn that Sister Bay’s “cookie lady” is actually Rachel Haas, a normally soft-spoken, petite, young […]

• Celebrating 10 Years of Door County Living

Ten years go by in a blink. One minute I’m in a basement, at midnight, working with my cohorts to pull together what will be the first issue of Door County Living. Next thing I know, it’s 10 years later, and we’re putting our 39th issue to bed – although, now, above ground and in […]

• Bill Brophy, Hal Grutzmacher

A Look at the Life of Harold (Hal) Grutzmacher

An influential member of the Door County community, the late Harold (Hal) Grutzmacher was an avid reader, writer, poet, columnist, critic, editor, and owner of Passtimes Books in Sister Bay who influenced a number of writers and inspired the name for Peninsula Pulse’s annual literary contest:  Hal Grutzmacher’s Writers’ Expose. Born in Chicago in 1930, […]

• Len Villano, Eagle Bluff Lighthouse

Revamping Eagle Bluff Lighthouse

It was a spectacular lighthouse when it was completed in 1868 at a cost of $12,000 – Milwaukee cream city brick construction, a unique design (a square tower, set at an angle) that distinguished it from others of its kind, and a prime Door County location on the water. Over the next 58 years, it […]

• Len Villano, Haberli family

A Life on the Farm: The Haberli Family

Joseph Haberli doesn’t recall a time when he wanted to do anything but farm. “I just always did,” he says. “I told my dad when I was a kid, ‘you either sell me your farm or I’m gonna go someplace else and buy one.’” There was no moment of inspiration, no time when he fell […]

• Kurt Thomas: The DCA’s Jack of all Trades

Since my earliest days at Gibraltar I remember Kurt Thomas in the sound booth, building sets, and lending a hand to anyone that needed it on and off the stage. I recently caught up with Kurt, now the Door Community Auditorium’s Technical Director, to talk to him about what it is that’s kept him loving […]

• Len Villano, Hans Christian

Hans Christian: A Life Inside the Music

Hans Christian’s eyes project a combination of intelligence, patience, and kindness. He ushers me into his studio early on a Sunday morning, and it feels like a sacred space. He is leaving the next morning for an extensive tour, but no worries – everything is packed and ready to go. “I don’t like to feel […]

• Hank Eckert

Hank Eckert: Sister Bay’s One-time Postmaster

Watching my grandfather Hank Eckert’s weathered hands sift through relics of mail, he smiles and says, “You have a big job ahead of you!” He has had a big job – as a soldier in World War II and the former postmaster of Sister Bay – and quite a happy life. Henry George Eckert, born […]

• Olde Stone Quarry Park Re-named for George Pinney

The Door County Board of Supervisors renamed Olde Stone Quarry County Park as George K. Pinney County Park, in honor of longtime Parks Director George Pinney.

• One in a Million

It was over spring break last year, that my daughter and I were combing the beach looking for shells, starfish and sand dollars. We found literally hundreds of beautiful, “I can’t possibly throw these back” kind of shells on our first day out.

• Article posted Wednesday, April 25, 2012 1:44pm

More entertaining than the Comedy Central channel – these two characters are 30 pounds of black and white high definition fun! Three-year-old Kurtz is 17 pounds, while his four to six-year-old pal, Duran, is 13 pounds.

• United Way of Door County Announces New Board Members and Officers

United Way of Door County held its Annual Meeting and Community Celebration on April 18. New business conducted at the meeting included the election of new board members and officers for the upcoming year.

• TAP Launches Kickstarter Campaign

Third Avenue Playhouse (TAP) recently launched a campaign to raise funds through Kickstarter, an online fundraising site. They set a goal of $15,000 to help fund their newly expanded summer programming of theatre, music, and theatre classes; and to help fund the opening of the new intimate Studio Theatre.

• Side Pork Fest Moves to City

The second annual Side Pork Festival will take place on June 2 at Martin Park. The event will feature the Hog Wild 5k (a kids run, 15k, and 15k relay), live music, a motorcycle ride, skateboard demonstrations, arts and craft fair, a kids’ zone, and plenty of side pork.

• Scandia Village Launches Capital Campaign

The Good Samaritan Society – Scandia Village is embarking on a capital campaign called “Partners in Compassion.” The campaign includes additions to the campus and remodeling existing spaces.

• Sister Bay Scanning Historic Photos

Northern Door residents have another month to take part in Stage I of a groundbreaking historic research project currently underway by the Sister Bay Historical Society.

• Sister Bay Centennial Exhibit Needs Early Aviation Examples

Help Sister Bay celebrate 100 years of history and send in photos, stories, and models of early aviation in Sister Bay/Northern Door area for a Sister Bay Centennial exhibit.

• Register for Sister Bay Annual Rummage Sale

The Sister Bay annual village rummage sale is set for May 19 from 8 am – 4 pm, and registration is open. This annual rummage sale attracts thousands of buyers to the one-day shopping event.

• Volunteers Needed at Sister Bay/ Liberty Grove Library

The Sister Bay/ Liberty Grove Library is looking for volunteers. The library will soon expand to summer hours and more volunteers are needed. The library also needs volunteer gardeners (weed pullers) a few hours every other week.

• Boating Safety Classes Offered this Spring

The local US Coast Guard Auxiliary unit will present three Wisconsin Department of Natural Resource (DNR) Boating Safety Classes this spring. People born on or after January 1, 1989 are required to pass a safe boating course to legally operate a power-driven boat, including a personal watercraft (PWC).