Navigation

Category: Community

Door County community news from the Peninsula Pulse. Find information about health programs, fundraisers, announcements, and more to keep you in the loop in your community.

• Clearing the Virgin Forests: Door County’s Logging Past

More than a century ago, just as today, the splendor of Door County’s natural resources attracted droves of people to the peninsula. But in the last half of the 19th century, they came not to appreciate and relax, but to chop and clear the area’s towering virgin forests. When Door County was established by the […]

• A Profile of Local “Tech Guru” Rick Gordon

As the “wizard” behind Door County Computer (affectionately known as “Ricknet”), Rick Gordon will most likely never be able to retire. If he continues to follow his natural tendencies, he’ll simply allow himself to intuitively gravitate toward whatever attracts and keeps his interest. Gordon admits he doesn’t function well if he does the same thing […]

• An Appleton Icon Retires to the Door

I’ve known Rik for over 20 years, having first met him when dating his oldest son. Our families are still close, and he officiated  at both my brother’s wedding and mine. We joke that he saved my dad’s life on the golf course years ago by yelling at my dad to “Duck, Terry!” – my […]

• Fall Decorating Made Easy

Fall is here, and winter is just around the corner. Here are some simple tips for quickly and inexpensively giving your home a cozy new look as the temperature begins to drop: Create a feeling of warmth with some new pillows and throws for existing furniture using warm, rich colors and fabrics with lots of […]

• An Uncommon Renovation

What is a real Door County style home? It becomes more difficult to define every day, as one homeowner will tell you it’ s their small cottage or while another might point to a farmhouse on a winding county trunk road. An ad in a magazine might tell you it’s a log home or a water-view […]

• Rock Island: The Untrammeled Frontier

As the passenger ferry “Karfi” pulls up to the break-wall at Rock Island, I’m cold, drenched and reminded just how much this place feels like the outer edge of all known civilization. Barring the sound of Karfi’s engine and the monumental stone boathouse on the shore, I could be Jean Nicolet stumbling onto this untrammeled […]

• Ephraim jeweler Amanda Dewitt

Ephraim Jeweler Amanda Dewitt: The Work, The Struggle, The Journey

Many Door County entrepreneurs have seen their ideas and enthusiasm quashed by the doubt of a long, slow winter or the unpredictable nature of a tourist economy. It is often less the idea that will make or break a business here, and more the fortitude of the person. One has to work hard, run into […]

• Dan Eggert, Toft, history, Door County history, Toft Point

The Toft Family: Preserving a Piece of the Peninsula

Most Door County residents and visitors, if they know of the Toft Family at all, have probably heard only of “Emma Who Saved The Ridges,” as a Milwaukee Journal Magazine headline once referred to Emma Toft. Emma was certainly involved in protecting the area known as The Ridges Sanctuary, although many others were equally involved. […]

• Dan Eggert, Mission Grille, Door County, Sister Bay

The Mission Grille: Creating a Legacy

Polishing off the final bites of my Roasted Maple Leaf Duck with a Door County cherry Bigaraude sauce, my reluctant inheritance of my father’s pun-laden sense of humor rears its head. “heavenly” I mutter. Though the word play proves irresistible as I eat dinner at the Mission Grille in Sister Bay, I manage to spare […]

• 25 Years of Teamwork: Larry and Eunice Simply Never Stop

When most people retire, they opt for a quiet life of leisure and relaxation. This has never been the case for Larry and Eunice Manz, former owners of Manz’ Specialty Foods in Sister Bay. They have just begun their second round of retirement after selling their store last year. However, instead of finding them on […]

• Fyr Bal, Joyce Gerdman, Scandinavian, Festival, Door County Festival, Door County

Fyr Bal: 50 Years of Celebration in Ephraim

Each year on the weekend closest to the summer solstice, the Village of Ephraim undergoes a transformation. Normally a tranquil lakeside community, known for its pastoral atmosphere and deep sense of history, during this weekend the village unfolds into a flurry of activity for ‘Fyr Bal’—one of Door County’s best known, if least understood, cultural […]

• Evergreen Sschool, one-room school houses, schools, history, Door County

School’s Out: The Past Times of One-Room School Houses

The old Door County one-room and two-room schoolhouses of the late 1800s and 1900s have all but retired from their education-related functions. Many have fallen into disrepair or are altogether gone, but the surviving buildings have been converted to homes and businesses. One of the early schools can still be seen today in its original […]

• Rod “Chief” Billerbeck A Legendary Presence in Northern Door

The numbers are the first thing you notice, and how could you not? They pop off the page at you: 41 yeas as head baseball coach, 377 wins – a state record when he retired, 25 league or conference titles, and one state championship. I began the task of writing about the man responsible for […]

• Blue Harmony at the Blue Dolphin House

Having a successful business, retail or otherwise, is never an overnight process. In order to succeed, you have to be patient, determined, hardworking, in the right place at the right time, and, if you are lucky, you have a strong partner with whom you can share the whole process. Peg and John Lowry, of the […]

• Preserving the Door’s Landscape

As Door County residents and visitors, we are drawn to the area’s natural beauty. Fortunately, we have many public and private organizations, not to mention individual landowners, working to ensure that Door County’s beauty and environmental diversity are preserved for future generations. To date, Door County contains more than 38,500 individual tax parcels, over 22,000 […]

• Chicago Historical Society, Christmas Schooner, Christmas tree

The Risky Careers of Christmas Schooner Captains

When the late summer storms on the Great Lakes began to stir, and the gales of November rattled the very souls of the schooners, the lake captains saw their transport business diminish. But there came a realization of a new seasonal run — Christmas trees! Christmas trees for those cities and communities where pine forests […]

• Friends and Colleagues

If you’ve ever walked into Fred & Co. and O’Meara’s Irish House in Fish Creek, you may have noticed some similarities in their owners. True, Terry Goettelman and Megan O’Meara could not be mistaken for sisters, yet they seem to be cut from the same cloth. Both women purchased their businesses while in their late […]

• Growing in Shady Places

Those of us who have chosen Door County as our home for at least part of the year have done so because of the natural beauty and natural landscapes. We love the wild places, and we especially love the wooded areas. Many of the homes in the county are located on wooded lots or have […]

• Sophisticated Casual: Interior designer Marilyn Jensen brings her work home

Your career dictates your living space. Builders have massive homes constructed with high quality materials, electricians have convenient outlets everywhere in the house, and plumbers have large bathrooms with luxurious whirlpools. But, when you’re an interior designer, your entire home is an empty canvas waiting to be painted. Welcome to the home of Marilyn and […]

• Reflections: Summer Kitchen with Gary Sheuerman

Knowing the summer season is nearing full swing, Door County Restaurant owner Gary Sheuerman is preparing for less free time and more work.  Living on his ranch just outside of Ephraim, he busies himself raising his four mules and three horses as well as working on the landscape of his ranch. This summer he plans […]