Navigation

Category: Community

Door County community news from the Peninsula Pulse. Find information about health programs, fundraisers, announcements, and more to keep you in the loop in your community.

• Looking for “Helpful Hearts”

Lakeshore CAP is hosting the inaugural “Helpful Hearts” volunteer appreciation dinner on April 12 at the Holiday Inn in Manitowoc. The organization is looking for nominations of those who give back with their service.

• Volunteer Fair at YMCA Features Workshops

With the aim of bringing together local community-based organizations with job seekers and volunteers, the not-for-profit job and volunteer fair will be held at the Door County YMCA in Sturgeon Bay on March 1 from 10:30 am – 1:30 pm.

• United Way Scholarship Applications Available

Each year, United Way of Door County awards scholarships for Door County students who are continuing their post-high school education. If you, or someone you know, has demonstrated strong community involvement in high school and is beginning college in fall of 2014, you are encouraged to apply.

• Need Help Writing Grants?

The Door County Community Foundation, The Raibrook Foundation, and United Way of Door County present the latest in their nonprofit education series – Grant Writing – on March 5 at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, Sturgeon Bay.

• Ellison Bay Service Club Helped Families Heat Homes

In December, the Ellison Bay Service Club contributed $2,000 to Door County Secret Santa in their effort to help families heat their homes. “It couldn’t have come at a better time,” said Jane Lee who, with her daughter, Jennifer, co-owns and operates Brew Coffeehouse in Ellison Bay.

• Home Buyer Education Workshop in Luxemburg

Lakeshore Community Action Program, Inc., serving Door, Calumet, Kewaunee, Manitowoc, and Sheboygan counties is offering a Home Buyer Education workshop on March 15, 9 am to 2 pm.

• Renewable Energy Scholarship Available from MREA

For the last eight years The Midwest Renewable Energy Association (MREA) has honored educator Steve Hansen with its Steve Hansen Memorial Scholarship Fund.

• Keep Mailboxes Clear

The United States Postal Service reminds customers to check their mailbox. Every day, the Postal Service safely and efficiently delivers millions of checks, money orders, credit cards and other valuable items.

• Volunteer Voices

It’s almost ironic that Paula Hedeen lives at the tip of Door County, referred to as Death’s Door. Ironic, because Paula volunteers as an “end of life” volunteer with Good Samaritan-Scandia Village, and because she is perhaps one of the most “full of life” volunteers I have ever had the privilege of knowing.

• You Are What You Eat

Who doesn’t love food, and who doesn’t like to eat out? I know I sure do, but when I eat out, I ask myself this question: “Will I control my portion size or am I going to go whole-hog on my meal?” In our country, we have a “bigger is better” mentality in many cases.

• Article posted Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:42am

Hearts and flowers to every animal lover on this Valentine’s Day from calico cat Dot. A stray found along Carol Court in Sevastopol, Dot has been at the Door County Humane Society since the spring of 2012.

• Life Notes

As a free public service to our readers, the Peninsula Pulse presents Life Notes, devoted to the notable milestones in life, from birth to significant birthdays to engagements, weddings and deaths. The deadline for submissions is noon on Friday. Send submissions to [email protected]. The Pulse reserves the right to edit submissions to conform to space. Call 920.839.2121 for details.

• YMCA Launches Annual Campaign

The Door County YMCA launched its Annual Campaign on Feb. 10 to ensure that everyone in Door County has access to vital community programs and resources that support healthy living.

• Save the Date for Pink Classic

The Pink Classic Golf Tournament committee announce this year’s event, benefiting the Sue Baldwin Fund, will take place on June 1 at Horseshoe Bay Golf Club.

• Rotary Scholarships Available

The Rotary Club of Sturgeon Bay (RCSB) will once again award scholarships to selected graduates of the Class of 2014 from Door County high schools. This year Rotary will award academic scholarships to students in the upper 25 percent of their high school class planning to pursue a full-time course of studies at an accredited college, university or state-operated vocational/technical school.

• Eat Spaghetti, Support Gibraltar Music Boosters

The Knights of Columbus will host a spaghetti and music dinner fundraiser to benefit the Gibraltar Music Boosters on Feb. 16 at St. Rosalia’s Church in Sister Bay.

• Love Festival Concert Benefits JAK’s Place

The eighth annual “Love Festival Concert” to Benefit JAK’s Place (a drop-in center for people affected by mental illness) will be held Feb. 16, 2 pm, at Bay View Lutheran Church, 340 West Maple, Sturgeon Bay.

• A Prescholar Tea Party

On Feb. 7, the students of Northern Door Children’s Center’s Prescholar preschool classroom capped off a week of lessons on fairy tales and make-believe with a “Prince and Princess Tea Party.

• Fighting Hunger One Backpack at a Time

The Backpack Buddies program of Feed & Clothe My People of Door County provides weekend snacks for more than 350 children from four Door County schools – children who qualify for free or reduced cost lunches at school.

• Women’s Fund Presents Grant for Back-to-School Fair

On Jan. 21, the board of the Door County Women’s Fund held the “Celebrating the Good Work of Your Gifts” reception at the Sevastopol Town Hall, honoring recipients of their 2013 grants.