Corner of the Past, operated by the Sister Bay Historical Society, opens for the season Saturday, June 13 at 11 am. Docents are available on Saturdays and Sundays from 11 am – 3 pm during the month of June to provide information and tours.
The museum site features the old Anderson family farmhouse, built in 1875 and saved from demolition and renovated by local volunteers. The house was the first project undertaken by the newly organized Sister Bay Historical Society and opened to the public in 1997.
Authentic farm buildings moved to the site and restored by Society members include the Koessl Barn, a granary, a chicken coop, a Door County migrant workers cabin, and several log cabins with appropriate furnishings. The machine shed holds an extensive display of period photographs, and a blacksmith’s barn, summer kitchen and working sawmill complete the complex of completed buildings. New on the site are two cottages moved from the waterfront of the old Liberty Park resort. Anyone interested in volunteering to help with this building renovation is encouraged to call Don Howard at 920.854.5487.
The museum’s hours will be expanded in July and August to include Friday and Saturday mornings. The Farmers’ Market will be held Saturday mornings beginning June 27 and will feature Heritage Craft demonstrations by area artisans.
Admission to Corner of the Past is free, with $1 fee to view the interior of the Old Anderson House. Contributions to the non-profit society’s ongoing efforts are appreciated.
Corner of the Past is located at the intersection of Highway 57, Country Lane and Fieldcrest Road, 1.5 miles from the Highway 42-57 intersection in Sister Bay.