County Releases Shoreline Erosion Resources

If your shoreline is eroding due to high water and wave action, be sure to find out what you may (and may not) do about it.

Here are helpful contacts: Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) call center: 608.267.3125. Regarding waterfront property in any area of the county, call the DNR for information about shoreline-protection options, state-permit requirements and process. If your waterfront property is located in a town, call the appropriate Door County Land Use Services Department staff person (listed below) for shoreland and floodplain zoning information related to shoreline-protection projects such as rip rap.

For the Towns of Baileys Harbor, Egg Harbor and Sevastopol, call Jeff Kussow at 920.746.2222. For the Towns of Gibraltar, Liberty Grove and Washington, call Rick Brauer at 920.746.2217. For the Towns of Clay Banks, Gardner, Jacksonport, Nasewaupee, Sturgeon Bay and Union, call Sue Vanden Langenberg at 920.746.2221. If your property is located in the city or one of the waterfront villages, check with municipal staff to see whether your project will require any local-level permits: City of Sturgeon Bay, 920.746.2910; Village of Egg Harbor, 920.868.3334; Village of Ephraim, 920.854.5501; Village of Sister Bay, 920.854.4118.