The Door County Maritime Museum (DCMM) recently received a significant pledge of support for their Maritime Lighthouse Tower project capital campaign. The George Kress Foundation from Green Bay will contribute $1 million to help facilitate the expansion of the Maritime Museum along the working waterfront of Sturgeon Bay.
“We are very appreciative of this generous support from the George Kress Foundation,” said DCMM Executive Director Kevin Osgood. “We are so pleased they decided to join with the almost 200 other local families and institutions who have made generous donations to this ambitious project. We are now closer than ever to being able to begin construction.”
The Maritime Museum is taking a major leap forward by expanding their Sturgeon Bay facility with a 10-story Maritime Lighthouse Tower along the Sturgeon Bay inner harbor. The Lighthouse Tower will offer:
- Ten floors of creative, interactive educational displays that highlights our shared maritime history, people and industries;
- Convenient accessibility to a lighthouse experience that will accommodate everyone regardless of physical abilities.
With the addition of this unique and iconic landmark Lighthouse Tower, many far-reaching benefits will be realized, including:
- A must-see maritime experience that will draw visitors to our area from far and wide;
- An intriguing destination that will generate tremendous interest and activity and create a significant economic boost to the region;
- Educational experiences that will teach young and old, keep our history alive and help to promote interest in maritime-related local career opportunities.
The educational program will emphasize the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Math (STEAM) inherent throughout the maritime and marine industries and across the state of Wisconsin. Exhibits on all ten floors will incorporate interactive digital displays to highlight how STEAM is vital to designing, engineering, building, manufacturing, and operating the regionally produced ships and boats, our world-class Inland Navigation System, and highly-complex technological equipment.
DCMM is currently working with area K-12 school districts and subject matter experts to develop a STEAM curriculum approach for existing and future exhibits and programs that will appeal to and inspire the next generation to consider careers in the maritime industries.