The history, folklore and landscape of The Clearing will be the subject of free interpretive walking tours of The Clearing’s historic buildings and campus, led by docents Carolyn Kimbell, Martha Newkirk and retired Resident Manager Don Buchholz. The two-hour tours begin at 1 pm.
The tours have been going on throughout the summer and now continue through the months of August, September, and October on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Tours begin at the Jens Jensen Visitor Center of The Clearing on 12171 Garrett Bay Road in Ellison Bay. The walking terrain is rugged in some places, and sturdy walking shoes are recommended. Visitors will also have an opportunity to browse The Clearing Bookstore and Gift Shop.
There are also weeklong class openings available at The Clearing for a variety of classes, including the following:
• A Door County Nature & History Sampler, August 16 – 22, with instructor Coggin Heeringa
• Rosemaling, August 16 – 22, with instructor Lois Mueller
• Great Books: Clashes of Cultures, August 16 – 22, with instructor Henry Timm
• Landscape Painting in Oil: The Artist’s View, August 23 – 29, with instructor Bonnie Paruch
• Hike, Bike & Paddle Door County, August 23 – 29, with instructors Bob and Dave Bultman
• Wood Turning 101, August 23 – 29, with instructor Hank Bardenhagen
• 3-in-1 Writing Workshop, August 30 – September 5, with instructor John Lehman
For more information on the walking tours or classes, call 920.854.4088.