Door County Bulletin: Coming Up
• Sturgeon Bay City Engineer Tony Depies said a meeting will be held March 18 or 19 to discuss directional and street signage in the downtown area. Details will be posted at http://www.sturgeonbaywi.org when finalized.
• This year’s Steel Bridge Songfest is slated to include a street festival, with the possible closing of some streets around the Michigan Street Bridge. The city council referred consideration of the closings to the Parking and Traffic Committee. Organizers announced that this year’s festival will include 16 music stages, an art fair and kids’ activities, and that Saturday and Sunday’s street festival will be free to the public.
• Wisconsin Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson will be in Door County for a “Meet & Greet” campaign stop at the Ladder House in Sturgeon Bay March 15. Abrahamson is seeking a fourth term on the court and will appear at 1 pm.
• The Door County Board of Supervisors meets March 24 at 9 am at the Door County Government Center in Sturgeon Bay.
• Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing Secretary Celia Jackson will be in Sturgeon Bay on Monday, March 9 at 9 am to discuss Governor Doyle’s recently announced 2009 – 2011 State budget plan. The meeting will be held in the Commons Area at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, 2229 North 14th Avenue in Sturgeon Bay.
Secretary Jackson will make a short presentation on the Governor’s budget, followed by an opportunity for comments and questions from those in attendance.
• VFW Post 9290 meets at 1 pm on the first Thursday of each month at the Baileys Harbor Town Hall.
• You can get free tax help through AARP Tax-aide if you have low or middle income on Mondays at the Baileys Harbor Town Hall. Special attention is available for those age 60 and over. Call for an appointment at 920.839.2157. Times are also available at the Scandia Village Retirement Center in Sister Bay on Wednesdays. Call for a Wednesday appointment at 920.854.2317.
• The Door County Tourism Zone Commission meets March 19 at the Sister Bay Fire station at 9 am. April’s meeting will be in Egg Harbor, and May’s will be in Sturgeon Bay. The commission rotates locations to try to be available to all constituents.
• Sturgeon Bay’s Parks and Recreation Committee meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm in the Council Chambers at city hall.