Egg Harbor’s Doctor

The Egg Harbor Historical Society (EHHS) will present 12 free programs on Mondays during January, February and March at the Kress Pavilion. The programs begin at 1 pm. During the January meetings, the society will have “appointments” with Egg Harbor’s Doctor Eames. The remaining programs have been planned and will be announced at a later date.

Starting Jan. 7, Giz Herbst of the EHHS will discuss the last 56 years of Horace Franklin Eames’ life. Eames became Egg Harbor’s doctor in 1892 and served in that capacity until his death in July 1937. His 45 years of service were not his only point of fame: at one time he owned the largest apple orchard in Door County, a prize herd of dairy cattle and as many as 200 hogs. He also owned a shipping wharf and a general store in Egg Harbor. His farm extended from near Highway 42 in the village and up and over the hill to what is now Eames Farm Condominiums. His home at the farm was moved into the village next to the Cupola House in 1993 to make room for the condos.

Dr. H.F. Eames started as a true horse-and-buggy doctor who ran his practice from his home and made house calls as needed. Some readers might remember his grandson, Frank Eames, who owned a restaurant on Sturgeon Bay’s Third Avenue for many years.

For more information about the society, visit

Related Organizations

Article Comments