Friends Community Church will celebrate the hundredth anniversary of the first singing of “The Old Rugged Cross” on Jan. 12 and 13. The Rev. George Bennard first sang this song in front of the congregation on January 12, 1913. Those in attendance gave accounts of the night and are featured in The Story of the Old Rugged Cross, published in 1947 by the Rev. John H. Baxter.
The church will unveil a museum area celebrating “The Old Rugged Cross” at 2 pm on Jan. 12, and a soup brunch will be held at noon on Jan. 13 with a concert following at 2 pm.
All are welcome to attend.
Friends Community Church is located at 204 W. Maple Street in Sturgeon Bay. For more information visit http://www.friends-doorcounty.com.