By Michele Ploor
Hello Town of Gardner residents and welcome to your column. It’s about you, about what you need to know, want to know, and possibly some things you could have lived without ever knowing. It’s my goal to give you, the residents, a little touch of what’s happening in our community. So, if you have an event, a birth, marriage, graduation, of if your Aunty Em, grandkids, cousin, or brother came to visit from New York, let me know and I’m glad to share. What better way to get to know each other. Email me at [email protected] I’m going to continue to run this paragraph until I hear from you. Please send me some fun things to share!
- Happy anniversary to Michele and Aaron Ploor, celebrating 21 years Sept. 14, and Nancy and Reg Robillard, celebrating 50 years Sept. 23.
- Being that nobody contacted me with anything fun to share, let me tell you how my family enjoys the Town of Gardner. Hunting, fishing, horseback riding, snowmobiling, riding four-wheelers, swimming, and nature hikes. Where on earth can we do all that? The Gardner Swamp. It’s not only open for hiking, bird watching and sightseeing, it also boasts public hunting land to the tune of 1,180 acres. Many of the roads are now public ATV/UTV trails; it’s easy to take a ride and enjoy the sights and sun almost anywhere here. We also enjoy swimming, though the town doesn’t have a sandy beach to speak of. Slap on some water shoes and away you go right into the water at Sugar Creek, or our personal favorite, the end of Fox Lane. Owning two horses, we try and get out to ride when we can. Though there are no actual trails for riding, the roads are nice, too. It’s an amazing way to enjoy the quiet and the natural beauty all around us.
- The town board meeting is held on the second Wednesday of every month at 6:30 pm at the town hall located at the corner of Four Corners Road and County C. These meetings are always open to the public and we’d love to see you there. Currently the town board is in the process of changing and updating the town’s building code ordinances.
- The Gardner Plan Commission is still working on the town’s recreational plan. We are looking forward to hearing updates on the available grants.
- Check the Gardner town website at townofgardner.org to find contact information for your town officials, garbage schedules, etc.
- Please remember that town trash pickup is for household trash only. No building materials, ashes etc.
Now get out there and make it a great day!