Navigation

History of Penny Candy

The Door County Historical Society will host its Saturday afternoon yesteryear program “Penny Candy,” on June 16 at 1 pm in the Greene General Store at Heritage Village at Big Creek in Sturgeon Bay.

As a costumed interpreter, Coggin Heeringa will share the history (and a few samples) of the penny candy which was available between 1890 and 1910. The name “penny candy” derived from the time when a piece of candy cost one penny. The presentation is fun for learners of all ages. During the construction of the Greene General Store, Heeringa reviewed a number of general store ledgers to determine what merchandise was locally available and what products were most popular. In presenting her findings, she learned that the topic of penny candy both evoked memories and offered insight into the buying habits of our pioneer ancestors.

Heritage Village at Big Creek is located at 2041 Michigan Street in Sturgeon Bay. This program does not have an admission fee, but an offering will be taken to support the Heritage Village at Big Creek maintenance projects. Heritage Village is open for tours prior to the presentation beginning at 10 am and after the presentation until 3 pm. The adult admission fee is $6.50, and a donation is requested in lieu of a children’s admission fee.

For more information call 920.421.2332 or email [email protected]

Related Organizations

Article Comments