Volunteer ice carvers braved the elements Feb. 17 at the Sturgeon Bay Fire and Ice Festival. The People’s Choice Award was awarded to Seth Wilson and John McCaulley for their intricate fish ice sculpture sponsored by Madison Avenue Market.
Carvers began chipping, sawing, and molding ice blocks throughout Sturgeon Bay at 9 am.
Creative “ice-terpieces” were formed out of 300 pound ice blocks. Carvers took to the streets of Sturgeon Bay to create spectacular works of art, competing for cash prizes and the People’s Choice award. Judges decided the winning sculptures in beginner, intermediate, and advanced categories.
Ice Carving Winners
- Rebecca Struck, Chihuahua, sponsored by Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort
- Elliot Vanness, Fire, sponsored by Associated Bank
- Reynaldo Clemente, Bird, sponsored by Monticello on Jefferson
- Seth Wilson and John McCaulley, Fish, sponsored by Madison Avenue Market
- The Bifrost Carvers, Odin, sponsored by Door Country Gifts
- Gary Richter, Dancing couple, sponsored by Stone Harbor Resort
- Dave Bartels, Kangaroos, sponsored by Door County Eye Associates
- David Mailand, Statue of Liberty, sponsored by The Brick Alley
This year’s sponsors were Get “Real” Café, Glas Coffeehouse, On Deck Clothing Co., Madison Avenue Market, T. Simon Jewelers, Stone Harbor Resort, Associated Bank, Cornucopia Kitchen Shop, Door Country Gifts, Door County Candy, Door County Eye Associates, Nicolet National Bank, The Brick Alley, The Corner Café, Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort, Door County Advocate, Monticello on Jefferson, Bay Shore Outfitters, and Door County Medical Center.
5th and Jefferson Coffeehouse, Bliss, Brick Lot Pub & Grill, Bridgeport Waterfront Resort, City of Sturgeon Bay, Door County Trolley, Scaturo’s Baking Co. and Café, Sonny’s Pizzeria, and Wulf Brothers Inc also helped make the event possible.
Jen and Rick Rogers of Sturgeon Bay warm up by the fire in front of Bay Shore Outfitters at the 2018 Fire and Ice Festival. Photo by Len Villano.
Snow carver Bess Coy from Hastings, Minnesota works at the 2018 Fire and Ice Festival. Photo by Len Villano.
Lori Hlinak form Luxenburg checks a Bear out for comfort. The bear was carved by Cody and Ashley Leist from Jacksonport. Photo by Len Villano.
Ice sculpter Dave Bartels from Clintonville. 2018 Fire and Ice Festival in Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin, Photo by Len Villano.
Snow scupter Cody Leist from Jacksonport with his Polar Teddy Bear carving. 2018 Fire and Ice Festival in Sturgeon Bay, Door County, Wisconsin, Photo by Len Villano.