On Oct. 29 Immanuel Lutheran Church in Baileys Harbor celebrated the 500th anniversary of the Reformation begun by Martin Luther, and it also began a yearlong journey to Immanuel’s 125th anniversary of the church in Baileys Harbor.
A little more than 125 years ago, 15 families in Baileys Harbor decided they needed a new Lutheran church, and Immanuel Lutheran Church called their first pastor. On May 1, 1892, Carl Peil, Sr. called a meeting of 15 families, which resulted in the organization of the first congregation. Those families were of Charles Abrahamson, Frederick Ehrke, William Hein, Henry Kirschner, Emil Krause Sr., Fred Krause, Fredrick Lehman, Otto Ohnesorge, John Oldenburg, Herman Oldenburg, Andrew Polzin, August Rademacher, Fred Reh, Carl Peil Sr., and William Tischler Sr.
The 15 founding members and their families will be honored in a special service Nov. 5 at 10 am. The public is invited.
For more information, find “Immanuel Lutheran Baileys Harbor” on Facebook or call 920.839.2224. Immanuel Lutheran Church is located at 7973 Hwy 57 in Baileys Harbor.