Navigation

Liberty Grove Historical Society Opening for Guests

The Liberty Grove Historical Society’s opening day also marks the 150th anniversary of the frame farmhouse that stands atop the Ellison Bay hill – the first in Liberty Grove. Guests may tour the historical property starting June 24, 10 am – 4 pm. All historical buildings will be open, with docents available to answer questions.

Swedish immigrant August Johnson (1849-1940) purchased the property from Ellison Bay founder John Eliason in 1867. Johnson’s grandson, Russell Hanson (1921-2008), who raised his own family on the homestead with his wife, Virginia (1924-2022), sold this centennial farm to the historical society in 2003. The farmhouse will become an exhibit space to educate visitors about rural life in Liberty Grove.

The museum will be open two days this season: Thursdays, 9 am – 12 pm, and Saturdays, 1-4 pm. The grounds are open daily, dawn to dusk. Call Karen at 520.730.0436 to arrange a private tour, and learn more at libertygrovehistorical.org.