Navigation

Meander Sister Bay and Ellison Bay Gardens during Annual Garden Walk

Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue: the 12th Annual Sister Bay Historical Society Garden Walk offers something for everyone, whether established gardens that have been tended for decades, or thriving gardens where once none existed; whether a 1940-era automobile repurposed as a planter, or a patch of blue forget-me-nots blanketing a shade garden.

July 11 is opening day for seven Northern Door gardeners, offering visitors a sampling of the spectrum of fine gardens that beautify the peninsula. Whether looking for the serenity and beauty, or for inspiration, tourists will not be disappointed by this year’s featured lawns and gardens.

“This is a lovely opportunity for locals and visitors to support the preservation of Sister Bay’s history for their children and grandchildren,” said event publicist Pat Wisner. “It’s a delightful day of meandering through many gardens whose owners have miraculously transformed this challenging land into little paradises.”

The gardens:

• Gary and Marcy Farber, 11940 Lakeview Road, Ellison Bay: A planter made from vintage car parts and “art-afacts” hanging from a log cabin add charm to this eclectic woodland. The Farbers had to truck in dirt for their shade garden. Two ponds grace the property, one in a secret garden.

• Don and Myrma Howard, 2535 Fieldcrest Lane, Sister Bay: The Howards, gardeners for 60 years, invite visitors to “Hidden Gardens” for their the third time on the tour. The meticulously groomed lawn and perennial gardens feature native stonewalls, oriental grasses, a fishpond, fountains and garden art.

• Julie and Gary Lhost, 10184 Settlement Lane, Sister Bay: During the past 13 years the Lhosts have transformed “a field of junipers” into prairie, vegetable, cutting and cottage gardens along with perennial borders. Look for new varieties that have found a home in this sunny location.

• Carole and Jim Maronek, 1519 East Door Bluff Road, Ellison Bay: The Silver Poplar Studios is a complex that includes an 1850s log home, a barn, and other farm buildings set in old European-style gardens accented with whimsical found-object art and a Russian onion-dome gazebo.

• Rick Nelson and Kathleen Schmidt, 11979 Mink River Road, Ellison Bay: This Certified Wildlife Habitat with rock gardens and ponds began from scratch five years ago. Master Gardener Nelson has planted more than 500 hybrid lilies in a landscaping plan that blends with native vegetation.

• Laurence and Lydie Mae Peterson, 12751 Door Bluff Road, Ellison Bay: The Petersons have spent 48 summers on a rocky shoreline property that features stonewalls, two special gardens named Alfheim (home of elves) and Trollebo (abode of the trolls), and an attractive log home.

• Mary Ellen Sisulak, 11736 Mink River Road, Ellison Bay: The English-influenced gardens next to the Turtle Ridge Gallery and Mink River Nature Conservancy include a fountain and sculptures, the touches of an artist who has lived on the property for 34 years.

“The garden tours began in 2002,” said museum curator Roberta Kutlik. “Profits help maintain the buildings and preserve artifacts at Corner of the Past,” a project of the Sister Bay Historical Society located at the intersection of Highway 57, Fieldcrest and Country Lane.

The seven gardens are open on July 11 from 10 am to 4 pm. Tickets are $15 and may be purchased in advance from the Ephraim and Sister Bay Visitor Centers, Sister Bay Baylake Bank, Jerry’s Flowers, and Sunnypoint Gardens and gifts; and on the day of the tour at The Corner of the Past and the host properties.