Welcome to the Notes from the Grove, providing Liberty Grove residents and visitors tidbits of information about goings on in town government.
• Mike Walker was recognized at the last board meeting for his service to the Town of Liberty Grove. Walker was the town’s assessor for 24 years. He was presented with a plaque and received a round of applause from those in attendance. He has once again taken up service to the town as the chairman of the highway committee. On behalf of the citizens of Liberty Grove, thank you to Mike Walker.
• The board approved the Parks and Properties recommendation to a trial period of placing trash receptacles at three locations. Trash and recyclable receptacles will be placed at Fitzgerald Park, Wills Park/Marina and at the information center in Ellison Bay. Going Garbage will provide the containers and the pick-up service.
• The board also approved Parks and Properties recommendation to participate in the nourishment projects as proposed by Door County Soil and Water. Sand Bay and Europe Bay beaches will be addressed. The project comes at no cost to the town.
• The board reaffirmed its position on town employees serving on committees. It felt there is not a conflict of interest when an employee serves on a committee and state statutes allow their participation. Since committee actions are advisory to the board any decision they make would need board approval for implementation.
• Blackberry Lane has been approved as a Heritage Road.
• Property located at 11850 County NP has been put on notice to clean up the area or face an ordinance violation. The fine for such a violation is $250 per day of violation.
• At a special board meeting held on May 24, Wickman House in Ellison Bay was granted a class B liquor license. A total of 305 seats for the restaurant qualified Wickman House for the special license.
• A reminder that on June 15, 9 am – 1 pm, residents of Sister Bay and Liberty Grove may bring in documents to be shredded and household appliances and computers to be recycled. The event will be held at 11161 Old Stage Rd, Sister Bay. Additional information is available at the town office or the town website.