Welcome to the Notes from the Grove, providing Liberty Grove residents and visitors tid bits of information about goings on in town government.
• The Board of Review concluded hearing objectors on Dec. 1. Over 300 objections to the recent property evaluations after the first revaluation for the Town since 2001 were received. The Board of Review heard over 217 cases during three weeks from Nov. 9 – Dec. 1. The board was not in session the week of Thanksgiving. A note of thank you to all the objectors appearing before the Board of Review for their patience and understanding waiting for their case to be heard.
• Due to the late adjournment of the Board of Review, property tax bills will be arriving late. We understand there are four municipalities in Wisconsin that the State is waiting for their final numbers after late Board of Reviews. It is estimated that the tax bills for Liberty Grove will be mailed around Dec. 22. The mill rate for Sanitary District #1, those being served by sewer and water from the Village of Sister Bay, is $8.52 per thousand of evaluation. The remainder of the Town in Sanitary District #2 will see a mill rate of $8.47 per thousand. If you need assistance in estimating your taxes please contact the Town Office at 920.854.2934 for further assistance. The Town Office will be open on Dec. 31 from 9 am – noon for anyone wishing to pay his or her taxes.
Also, updated tax amount for properties is online at http://www.co.door.wi.gov. Owners may locate their property tax by providing his or her parcel number, address or name.
• The Village of Sister Bay has invited any town residents who wish to recycle their Christmas lights to participate in their program this year. A bin will be available at the Marina from Jan. 2 – 13.
• The Personnel Committee will begin interviewing prospective parties interested in becoming the Town’s Assessor. Mr. Dorschner had notified the town earlier this year of his intention to retire at the end of 2011. The committee will make a recommendation to the Town Board.
• A salt/sand mix is available to town residents for $3 for a five gallon pail. Please contact the Town Office for details.
• A reminder that two appliance recycling days are scheduled for 2012 and one paper shredding. Appliance recycling will be held in spring and fall and paper shredding will be held in fall.
• The Town Office will close at noon the Dec. 23 and reopen on Dec. 27. The office will also be closed on the New Years weekend and open Jan. 3.
• On behalf of the Town Board, Administrative staff and Town Crew, I would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
To contact John Lowry regarding the Town of Liberty Grove or information found within this column, email [email protected] or call the Town of Liberty Grove at 920.854.2934.