Once Upon Our Peninsula: Feb. 7-14

News from this week’s past

All items are from the Door County Library’s newspaper archives, and they appear in the same form as they were first published, including misspellings and grammatical errors.

Door County Democrat

February 8, 1918

Two of the Plum Island Coast Guard crew (Ole Swenson and Herman Erickson), that were transferred for the winter to do guard duty at Block Island, have since been stationed at New York Harbar to do police duty. Quite a change from the wooded bluffs and flowery dells of Plum Island to the metropolis of the states.


The Democrat

February 9, 1893

The supply of butter in the city was exhausted on Saturday, it having been impossible to get any from the stores. Since then the farmers have been able to get to town with their produce and we are all right once more. The supply of meat and wood was also beginning to get somewhat low. 


Door County News

February 10, 1915

George Draeb Buys Weitlich’s Store

George Draeb, our local jeweler, closed a transaction last week whereby he became owner of the Weitlich jewelry store on the East side. 

In doing this, Mr. Draeb finds it necessary to dispose of his store on this side of the bay so that he can give his full attention and time to his new possession. 

He has made arrangements with Albert Taube, who is now in Ohio engaged in the same business to take over his Sawyer store. Albert needs no introduction to the people of this vicinity for he is well-known here and is a home boy, having been in the employ of Mr. Draeb a couple of years before going away. He has been in business for several years. Mr. Draeb will remain in charge of this store a week or two, when Mr. Taube will arrive and take same. 

In the move that George is making, Sawyer is losing one of its most progressive young business men, but we are not going to be selfish for we all wish him continual success in his new store on the East side.


The Sturgeon Bay Advocate

February 12, 1914

Arrest Alleged Fake Doctor.

On complaint of Sheriff Miller John M. Prentice of Minneapolis, who has been selling medicine and posing as a physician in the southern part of the county for several weeks past, was on Saturday night arrested by that official at Sister Bay and brought to this city, where the same evening he was haled before Justice Reynolds on the charge of practicing medicine without a license. He was promptly fined $75 and costs, or three months in the county jail. He was turned over to the sheriff, with whom he spent Sunday, friends coming to the rescue on Monday and paying the fine.

The arrest was made at the request of the secretary of the state medical association, to whom complaint had been made by some interested party or parties who were aware of the fact that he was violating the law.

The “doctor” gives a moving picture show along with the medicine, during which he also shows films of the differ­ent germs and worms the medicine is guaranteed to kill. He is said to have done a good business wherever he stops.