Navigation

Once Upon Our Peninsula: March 3, 2017

All items are from the Door County Library’s newspaper archives, and they appear in the same form as they were first published, including misspellings and grammatical errors.

                                                       The Expositor, March 6, 1874

With much gratification we learn that F.B. Gardner has made an amicable arrangement with his creditors by which the proceedings in bankruptcy are discontinued. He pays 50 cents on the dollar of his indebtedness and retains the Peshtigo and Little Sturgeon Property.

                                                     The Republican, March 5, 1891

A meeting of farmers was held at Jacob Saaler’s place one day last week to see what could be done toward establishing a cheese factory in the northern part of Sevastopol. Jos. C. Dana of Sheboygan, was present at the meeting, it being his intention to establish the institution could he obtain the promise of enough support. He wanted one hundred cows at least and could he get this number he would start the factory.

                                               Door County Democrat, March 2, 1917

Wisconsin’s game resources have been increased by a herd of 38 elk which recently arrived at the state game farm at Trout Lake. F.B. Moody, member of the Wisconsin conservation commission, writes that if “all goes well: with the Peninsula Park appropriation Door county will get a third of the herd. It is the intention of the commission to fence off about 500 acres of Peninsula Park for a state game preserve. If the herd stands the Wisconsin climate, it is the intention next season to add a pair of buffalo to the animals in the preserve, and probably three or four moose.”

                                                  Door County News, March 3, 1921

There seems to be a general demand for a free bridge across the bay. Residents of the Fourth ward seem to think that they are discriminated against by having to pay bridge fare and those living on this side of the city without paying to do so, which is an advantage the Fourth warders have. There has been an agitation along this line for many years. To make the bridge free would be to add the expense of maintenance on the taxpayers of the city. If the bridge was a county affair or on the highway system, there would be no one to enter the slightest protest on making it free. It should by all means be a free bridge, but it costs about $8,000 a year to operate and maintain the structure, which is more than the city could add to its tax budget at the present time without “crowding the mourners.” It is hoped that some means may be devised for solving the problem, however.

                                                    Door County News, March 5, 1936

Three 41-foot fish tugs will have been constructed at the Sturgeon Bay Boat Works before the end of the present season. Palmer Johnson, manager, told The News Tuesday that the boat for Johnson and Voight of Gills Rock would be ready for delivery as soon as the ice goes out.

The tug for Anderson Fish Co. of Frankfort, Mich., is about half completed and it is expected that it will be ready for launching within the next 30 days.

Immediately after the boat for the Anderson Co. is out of the way the keel will be laid for a third tug, but the firm for whom it will be built was not announced.