Once Upon Our Peninsula: Sept. 13-20

News from this week’s past

All items are from the Door County Library’s newspaper archives, and they appear in the same form as they were first published, including misspellings and grammatical errors.

The Expositor

September 11, 1874

MR. SAWYER has contributed $25 toward building a Methodist parsonage in this village. Every Methodist is now expected to vote as Sawyer directs. This, with all other contributions received, foot up $40 all told. This sum multiplied by 40 will give a sum sufficient to start.

The Independent

September 14, 1888

City attorney Dreutzer having filed an adverse opinion respecting the claims of Charles Wren and Miss Lucy Bacon, for damages sustained by riding into an open sewer on Main street, the council will probably disallow the bill.

Door County Democrat

September 9, 1899

The time is surely not very far distant when lake boats will land all winter at city docks. Any of the better class of lake steamers would experience no serious difficulty in maintaining a navigable channel during the winter from the canal down as far as one of the docks south of the bridge. When this is accomplished there will be far more likelihood of the establishment of industries here. Manufacturers are not slow to appreciate the advantages of open year round navigation augmented by first-class rail facilities.

Door County Democrat

September 14, 1907

D. E. Bingham has purchased a new bean harvester, it being the first one in this county. The new machine pulls two rows at a time and bunches them so they can be stacked or stored under cover. It reduces the work of raising beans very greatly as pulling beans by hand is a tedious job. Doubtless others will invest in the bean harvesters another year as quite a number of farmers living near the city have commenced to raise beans on a large scale.

Door County News

September 11, 1919


During the electrical storm of Friday night the barn of Adam Hintz in the town of Jacksonport was struck by lightning. The barn was set on fire by the bolt of electricity and entirely destroyed.

The structure was a large one and well filled with hay and seed, this loss on this account aggregating upward of $1,000, while the barn was valued at $2,000. The loss is only partially covered by insurance.

The granary was saved and it was a fortunate thing as Mr. Hintz had threshed the day before and the place contained all the grain.

Door County News

September 12, 1929


The machine pictured above was recently invented by three county men, Frank Stauber and Rudolph Schmidt, of Sawyer, and Robert Simon of Sturgeon Bay. Patents are now pending. It not only serves as a feed grinder but mixes the feeds as it grinds. Demonstrations will be held at various parts of the county in the near future. One feature of the machine is the fact that farmers employing it can turn their own grain back into feed.

Door County News

September 18, 1936

Investigate Need of

Port of Entry Here

A.V. Schwalbach, collector of customs for the port of Milwaukee, was in Sturgeon Bay Wednesday investigating the need of reestablishing a customs office here. Sturgeon Bay, as a port of entry, was discontinued in 1933 and since then persons obliged to report as having entered the country from Canada or leaving this country for Canada have been forced to go to either Green Bay or Milwaukee.