I feel that desserts are overlooked when it comes to Green Bay Packers’ game day meals, which we pride ourselves on as Wisconsinites. We savor our brats, cheese, and beer. But it’s time to incorporate something else Wisconsinites are known for (at least the Slattery women) – bars.
These rich, decadent, and absolutely delicious bars are a favorite in my family, frequently requested by yours truly, and enriched by the option to celebrate your favorite team by choosing corresponding M&M colors. So, if it is the Bears (boo!) you cheer for, use orange and blue. If it is the Vikings…oh no, you’re out of luck. Too bad, so sad.
Bring some Ooey Gooey Packer Backer Bars to the tailgate party, something to finish off that meaty, salty, and cheesy meal on a sweet-as-a-Packers-victory note.
• 16-ounce package of M&M’s
• 2 cups uncooked oatmeal
• 1 ½ cups flour
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup margarine, melted
• 2 tablespoon vegetable shortening
• 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1) Remove green and yellow M&M’s from package and set aside.
2) Combine oats, flour, nuts, sugar, soda, and salt. Mix well.
3) Add margarine and mix until dry ingredients are moistened and mixture is like course crumbs.
4) Reserve 1 ½ cups of mixture, press the rest in the bottom of a greased 15 ½ x 10 ½ inch pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes.
4) Melt 1 ½ cups of M&M’s (not green and yellow M&M’s) in shortening either on stovetop or in microwave. Chocolate mixture will be almost melted and pieces of color coating with remain. Whichever way you do it, do it slowly.
5) Once melted add sweetened milk. Spread over crust to within a ½ inch of edge.
6) Combine the reserved crumbs and M&M’s. Sprinkle on top of fudge, pressing gently.
7) Bake 15 – 20 minutes until light golden brown.
8) Cool, cut into bars. Go, Pack! Go!