Coming when called is something dogs must be taught how to do, and the only way to get your dog to come reliably is with training. The best way to teach this is to take small steps, have patience and be consistent!
Here are some tips to help with your training:
• First practice “Come” on a short leash in the house.
• Then work up to practicing “Come” on a longer leash while still inside.
• Once your dog is responding reliably inside, go outside to your yard to start again on a shorter leash. Then work your way up to a longer leash.
• Once “Come” is mastered in your own yard, try going to a place where there are distractions, such as a park.
• Always praise your dog with petting and high-value treats when he or she is learning a new command.
If you would like to work one to one with a Wisconsin Humane Society behaviorist on this behavior topic, call 414.431.6173 or email [email protected] to schedule a consultation. Learn more at wihumane.org.