From July 22 – 27, the 2013 Door County Plein Air Festival, presented by Peninsula School of Art, will provide a full line-up of events for art enthusiasts of all ages. Thirty-seven plein air painters will use the Door County landscape as muse and studio as they complete masterful paintings within two hours.
This year’s festival kicks off with free events hosted by area galleries on July 22 – 24, 11 am – 2 pm. Attendees are encouraged to speak with the artists about their art and inspirations, while watching them paint at their easels.
For the first, a dozen artists will gain a new perspective of Ephraim’s Eagle Harbor when an 80-foot barge becomes their floating studio. On July 23, 5 – 8 pm, these artists will not only race to depict the quickly changing light of a sunset on their canvases, but will have the task of keeping their perspectives constant as the vessel bobs with the rhythm of the waves.
Other free events include:
• 6 pm – sunset, Sunset Paint Out in Sister Bay’s Waterfront Park.
• 9 – 11 am, Featured Artists’ Quick Paint (with a live auction at noon), Dockside Quick Paint, and Kids Paint, where for $5 kids can paint near the artiest with art supplies from Peninsula School of Art. All events held at Fish Creek’s Clark Park.
• 6 – 8 pm, Open Door Celebration at Peninsula School of Art.
• 7 – 9 pm, Masters and Music in Sister Bay’s Waterfront Park.
• 5 – 6:30 pm, Collector’s Preview at Peninsula School of Art.
• 6:30 – 9 pm, Gala Auction at Peninsula School of Art.
The public exhibition and purchase of festival works runs from July 27 – Aug. 17. For more information call 920.868.3455 or visit DoorCountyPleinAir.com.