By Zeke Jackson, Village Administrator
- Work on the Bay Shore Drive Reconstruction Project is back underway. The guys from the DOT, REI Engineering and Vinton Construction are hard at work, putting the downtown back in good order so things are ready for the best season ever. If you happen to see Pat Bailey with REI Engineering, or John Streu of Vinton Construction, be sure to give those guys a big thumbs-up. What’s left to do you might ask? Some sidewalk work, installation of colored crosswalks, landscaping and restoration work. The village will also have new power pedestals installed throughout the front part of Waterfront Park so there’s plenty of power for festivals and special events. The installation of the pedestals will help to ensure that Sister Bay has the biggest and best holiday light displays in Door County.
- This will be the 16th year that National Poetry Month is celebrated in grand fashion in Northern Door. This year’s annual poetry and art show is now up at the Meadows Art Gallery and is titled Configurations: The Shape of our Words. Twenty-two poets will participate in this year’s show, and a public tea and reading will be held in the Meadows Gathering Room at 1:30 pm on May 11.
- It’s time to sign up for the Village-Wide Rummage Sale, which is scheduled for May 21. The registration forms are now available on the Village’s website (sisterbaywi.gov) or at the Sister Bay Advancement Association Office at 10668 N. Bay Shore Drive. The completed forms and the $15 registration fee must be returned to the SBAA Office by May 2. The sales will be advertised online and on hundreds of printed maps, and will also be advertised in print media and on the radio. It’s a great day for sellers as well as shoppers.
- Plans are underway for a new event to be conducted in the village on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend – a car and motorcycle show at the Country Walk Shops. There will be antique, classic and muscle cars as well as motorcycles on display, and Charlie Henriksen promises that everybody who attends the show will have a great time. The proceeds will be donated to the Door County Humane Society. If interested in registering for the show or for more information, send an email to [email protected]
- A number of folks have asked if I could publish the dates of upcoming festivals and special events which will occur in the village so they can save the dates. I promise, further information will be provided once it gets a little closer to the actual event dates. Here are the dates:
June 11 – Annual Goat Parade
June 22, 6 – 9 pm – Weekly Wednesday Night Concerts & Movies In The Park
June 25 – Beach Grand Opening Celebration/Paddlefest
July 30 – Sister Bay Plein Air Event
Aug. 13 – Festival of Fine Arts & Stargazing
Sept. 3 & 4 – Marina Fest
Sept. 4 – Final Concert In The Park
Sept. 17 – Peninsula Century Bike Ride
Oct. 14-16 – Fall Fest
Nov. 25 & 26 – Capture the Spirit
Dec. 31 – “In With a Bang” New Year’s Eve Celebration
- If you like fireworks, you’re in luck, because there will be spectacular fireworks displays in Sister Bay on June 25, during Marina Fest and on New Year’s Eve.
- The Marina Fest Committee will meet at 5:30 pm on May 27 at the Fire Station on Mill Road. If you would like to receive copies of agendas for any upcoming Village meetings please provide your name and email address to the folks in the Village Office. Agendas and packet materials can also be accessed on the Village’s website.
If you have any questions about upcoming village projects or Village operations please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at 920.854.4118, and my email address is [email protected]