- It doesn’t seem possible that it’s Labor Day weekend already. Marina Fest, a Labor Day weekend tradition here in Sister Bay, will again be conducted throughout Waterfront Park Sept. 2 & 3. This year’s event promises to be bigger and better than ever, and you won’t want to miss a minute of it. In addition to all the regular festival activities and food offerings there will be a pancake breakfast, kid’s boat building, bouncy houses, a wooden boat show, a used book sale, performances by Ben Larsen and Replica, and a fantastic fireworks display. Please note that there will be a slight activity schedule change this year as the fireworks will take place on Saturday night, and Sunday’s concert, which will feature Josh Harty, will be conducted on the Sister Bay stage from 2 – 5 pm. Thank you to the concert sponsor, Birchwood Lodge. If we get bad weather on Saturday, the fireworks will be postponed until Sunday night. Kids will also have access to the bouncy houses and carnival food throughout the day on Labor Day. A new free family friendly activity will be conducted during this year’s Marina Fest. A few local kids and their parents thought it would be really cool to play a huge game of hide-and-go-seek. Anyone interested in testing their hiding and/or seeking skills should show up at Marina Park at 8 pm on Sunday. I will be officiating the event, and kids ages 2 to 95, (or older, if you’re willing), are eligible to participate. The hide-and-go-seek game is expected to last about an hour, or until everyone is tired.
- October marks the fifth anniversary of the Meadows Art Gallery, and the next show to be conducted in the gallery is titled Old Guard. In that show some of the “old guard” members will display their works. The gallery is open 10 am – 5 pm daily at Scandia Village.
- Jeremy Ashauer, DOT project manager, asked me to update all of you on the status of the Hwy 57 resurfacing project. The work on that project, which will run from Baileys Harbor to Sister Bay, will include milling and resurfacing of 57 from the south County Q intersection to Canterbury Lane, replacement of the existing culvert pipes within the project limits, replacement of the existing box culvert between Ahrens Road and Meadow Road with a bridge structure, and minor grading. It’s scheduled to begin Sept. 5 and should be completed by June 2018. Two detours will be in effect from Labor Day weekend until Fall Fest, but access to all properties along 57 will be maintained. For further information, go to projects.511wi.gov/wis57.
- The 65th season of the Peninsula Music Festival has come to a close but plans are already underway for season 66. The orchestra members are also making plans for next season. Did you know that each orchestra member is responsible for their own housing? This is a huge expense for them. Can you help? Do you have an extra bedroom with a private bath, a condo you may not be using, or a cottage? If so, call Chris Risch, PMF office manager, at 920.854.4060 to discuss rental options.
- Wayne Anderson recently sustained a broken leg and is rehabbing at ManorCare West. He could use some moral support. If you’d like to send Wayne a card, his address is: ManorCare West, Room 200, 1760 Shawano Ave., Green Bay, WI 54303.
- The Marina Committee meets at 3 pm Sept. 5 and the Parks Committee meets at 2:30 pm Sept. 7. If you would like to receive copies of agendas for any upcoming meetings please provide your name and email address to the folks in the village office. Agendas and packet materials can also be accessed at sisterbaywi.gov.
- There was a very touching moment at the Aug. 15 Village Board Meeting. The board passed and adopted a resolution that posthumously thanked Jim Champeau for all his service to the village. Jim, who served on the board for a number of years and was village president from June 1975 to April 1983, was very active in the community, and it’s my understanding that he was a very nice man. Rest in peace, Jim.
If you have any questions about upcoming village projects or village operations please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at 920.854.4118 and my email address is [email protected]