By Zeke Jackson, Village Administrator
- The 12th annual Community-Wide Rummage Sale will be held rain or shine May 21, 8 am – 4 pm. With more than 50 sale sites, this year’s event will be bigger and better than ever. I’m happy to report there will be all sorts of treasures to purchase in and around the village. Rummage sale maps are now available at key locations throughout the village, at the visitor center, and on the village and the Sister Bay Advancement Association (SBAA) websites: sisterbaywi.gov and cometosisterbay.com.
- A car and motorcycle show will be held at the Country Walk Shops on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Antiques, classics, muscle cars, rat-rods, motorcycles and trucks are all welcome, and Charlie Henriksen promises that everybody who attends the show will have a great time. Spectators will be admitted to the show grounds for free, and the show participant entry fee is $5 at the gate. The Sister Bay Lions will sell food and drinks. To register, email [email protected] In addition to the car show there will be a Boardwalk Sale at the Country Walk Shops on the Saturday and Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Thanks to show sponsors: Rayanne, LLC, the Piggly Wiggly, Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant and Butik, Northern Grill & Pizza, the Garage @ Husby’s, The Church Hill Inn, Fred & Fuzzy’s, Thomas-Pfeifer Insurance, Sub Express, Klaud’s Kitchen and Innovative Printing, LLC.
- Northern Door Children’s Center will celebrate spring at their 16th annual Spring Gala, “Moonlight Sonata.” That event will take place from 5:30 – 8:30 pm at Björklunden (Vail Hall) in Baileys Harbor on June 5. Generous restaurant owners from all around the peninsula donate special dishes, and a variety of wines are available for tasting and purchase. To top that off Steve Gomoll, Dave Gunderson, Jim Jennings and Lee Nordgren will entertain gala attendees with relaxing instrumental quartet music. This year’s gala will be especially meaningful, as NDCC is celebrating its 30th anniversary. All proceeds from the Spring Gala benefit the children and families of the Children’s Center. For tickets call 920.854.4244.
- One of the newer SBAA members, Tweak Social Media & Marketing, has put together a workshop for SBAA members on June 8, 9 – 11 am. The cost is only $29 per person. If you’re a member of SBAA and are interested in branding your business and extending its reach, call Martha Beller at 920.256.0712.
- The Liberty Grove Town Board and the Sister Bay Village Board have authorized a cooperative venture to increase recycling and protect the environment. All residents, business owners or operators, and owners of property in the Village of Sister Bay and the Town of Liberty Grove are encouraged to participate in a Shredding/Appliance Recycling Day on June 18. There will be no charge to have documents securely shredded or to recycle most computer components and small household appliances, but fees of up to $15 could be charged to recycle refrigerators, computer monitors and microwaves, smaller televisions or any other items with a compressor or screen. It would cost $30 to recycle a console or big-screen TV. All shredded materials and appliances will be recycled. Any documents to be shredded as well as any appliances or computer components to be recycled should be brought to the parking lot at the Liberty Grove Town Hall – 11161 Old Stage Road, between 9 am and 1 pm on the 18th. Please note that there will be a limit of five Bankers Boxes per household or business. Due to overwhelming response in the past, residents from other municipalities will not be allowed to participate in this program. If you have any questions regarding the Shredding/Appliance Recycling Day, contact the employees in the Administration Office at 920.854.4118 or the employees at the town hall at 920.854.2934.
- The village has undergone a dramatic transformation, and village officials and the folks from the SBAA can’t wait to show off all the improvements. The first major festival of the season will be conducted on June 25. The daylong “Beach Bash” Grand Opening Celebration will be filled with great food and beverages, music, a volleyball tournament and an annual event, Paddlefest. Paddlefest is hosted by the experts at Bay Shore Outfitters, and their friendly staff members will provide everybody with an opportunity to demo kayaks and paddleboards and get some great tips throughout the day. Music by Hoi Polloi starts at 6 pm at the Sister Bay stage, and a spectacular fireworks display over the bay will cap off the celebration.
If you have any questions about upcoming village projects or Village operations please don’t hesitate to contact me. I can be reached at 920.854.4118, and my email address is [email protected]