• The 18th Annual Community Thanksgiving Dinner will be held at noon on Thanksgiving Day in the Fellowship Hall at the Shepherd of the Bay Lutheran Church. There is no charge for the dinner, but donations to the Door County Secret Santa fund will be accepted.
• Are you looking for a fun way to kick off the holiday season? Bundle up the kids and come to Capture The Spirit Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 28-30. Holiday bargains will abound throughout the village. The festivities kick off at 4:30 pm on Friday at the corner of Mill Road and N. Bay Shore Drive. At that time the village Christmas tree and lots of beautiful decorations will be illuminated. After the tree is lit there will be Christmas carols, and then Santa will bring glad tidings and lead everyone to the Library for storytelling. On Saturday from 3-5 pm the kids will have an opportunity to decorate holiday cookies at the Sister Bay Fire Station, and then on Sunday from 11 am – 1 pm they are invited to shop for reasonably priced gifts for their family members at the Family Centers of Door County’s Children’s Christmas Store in the Village Hall.
• Speaking of shopping, you’ll definitely be able to “shop till you drop” in Sister Bay next weekend. The Friends of Gibraltar will host their annual arts & crafts show in the village hall on Friday and Saturday, Nov. 29 & 30, and you’ll also want to take advantage of the holiday specials that will be offered at village businesses. Just so you know, the Pig will be open from 7:30 am to 1 pm on Thanksgiving Day.
• If you want to become a member of the Sister Bay Advancement Association, contact SBAA Coordinator, Paige Funkhouser. She can be reached at 920.854.2320 or [email protected].
• The Northern Door Children’s Center Holiday Home Tour will be conducted 4-8 pm on Friday, Nov. 28, and 10 am to 4 pm on Nov. 29. To purchase tickets call 920.854.4244 or stop by the Children’s Center. It’s located at 10520 Judith Blazer Drive – on the corner of Hwy 57 and Country Walk Drive.
• The Sister Bay Ice Rink and Sports Complex is gearing up for an active winter season of outdoor fun. We’re supposed to have a warm spell this weekend, but it sounds like that will be short-lived and Joe Baldarotta, the ice rink manager, guaranteed that work will commence on flooding the rink as soon as possible. To check on the status of ice making call 920.854.7014.
• Get ready for a really cool new event which will be taking place at the ice rink on New Year’s Eve. It’s “Sister Bay’s Poppin’ New Year’s Eve” fireworks extravaganza. This family oriented event, which will start at 4 pm. Rumor has it that a DJ will be rockin’ in the New Year in the warming house. Beer, soda and brats will also be served by the Top O’ The Thumb Snowmobile Club, and ice rink games will be conducted throughout the afternoon. If there’s enough snow the guys might fire up the sleds, and there’s always a chance that somebody will be game for an impromptu broomball game. The fireworks show will start at 8 pm and then you and yours are invited to enjoy drinks and dinner at any of the fine restaurants/bars in Sister Bay.
• Belated Happy Birthday wishes are extended to Catherine Peot, a very nice “lady” and hard-working member of the Sister Bay Historical Society Board of Directors. Catherine celebrated her 90th birthday with family and friends on Nov. 8 and a great time was had by all. Catherine blew out all 90 of the candles on her birthday cake!
• The Plan Commission will meet at 5:30 pm on Tuesday at the Fire Station on Mill Road. If you want to receive copies of agendas for upcoming village meetings please provide your name and e-mail address to the folks in the village office. Agendas and packet materials can also be accessed at sisterbaywi.gov.
In conclusion I’d like to wish all of you a very happy Thanksgiving!