Speed Limit Ordinances Approved
Welcome to the Notes from the Grove providing information about Liberty Grove town government to residents and visitors.
• The town has received word from the Department of Transportation (DOT) that it will assume responsibility for plowing both lanes of Old Stage Road when it serves as the Highway 42 detour during next year’s construction project. The town had contacted DOT after learning that it intended to only plow the southbound lane as it would be handling the southbound detour during the road construction in Sister Bay.
• The board approved ordinances regarding the speed limits on Garrett Bay and Isle View roads. Garrett Bay will be 25 mph from Highway 42 to Birchwood and then 35 mph to its terminus near the Garrett Bay hill. Isle View will be 35 mph from Timberline Road to the causeway and then 25 mph to its terminus at Northern Door Road.
• Bids will be solicited for the removal of marked trees along Garrett Bay Road in preparation for next year’s resurfacing.
• In preparation for developing the 2014 town budget, tourism service groups and not-for-profits are requested to have their donation requests into the town no later than Sept. 27.
• The town has received and acknowledged communication from the Village of Sister Bay regarding the town’s maintaining ownership interest in the wastewater treatment facility and its associated assets. The town board will be presented with a proposed procedure at its first meeting of September. Once the board has agreed upon the procedure, it will be communicated to the village for its consideration. The operating agreement between the town and village provides a procedure for settling the issue.
• The board has approved the application for zoning permits and lake bed lease for Sand Bay and Europe Bay beaches in advance of the planned improvements/beach restoration at the two parks. That followed the passing of ordinances 6-13 and 7-13 to establish bulkhead lines at the two beaches.
• From the town records: At the July 6, 1939, Town Board of Review, the board grants a license for liquor and malt beverages to Mike Anderson at the Hillside Hotel at a cost of $150.
At the July 14, 1941, Board of Review, the board was asked about garbage disposal, no action was taken. Also, Erwin Wills was granted a personal property refund of $16 and the board agreed to sell the International truck for $20, the box not included.