It’s safe to say that Sturgeon Bay Co-op sophomore swimmer Christy Braun was going to be busy at the WIAA State Girls Swim Meet April 6 in Waukesha.
During the March 30 Ashwaubenon Sectional Meet, Braun qualified in two individual events and added two relays. She placed fourth in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:07.12 and placed third in the 200 individual medley with a time of 2:10.70.
Braun teamed up with Cassie Rankin, Phoebe Bissen and Sanya Wienke to place second in the 200 freestyle relay with a time of 1:42.58. Braun, Maggie Ripp, Abi Schauske and Rankin finished third in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:54.13.
“[Braun] is very dedicated, very focused and works extremely hard,” Sturgeon Bay co-coach Kelly Oram-Rankin said prior to the sectional meet. “More than her strength is her ability to set a goal and reach it.”
Bayport won the team title with 349 points, and Sturgeon Bay placed sixth with 225.5 points.
WIAA Ashwaubenon Sectional
Team scores were Bay Port 349, Appleton North 338, Ashwaubenon 253, Neenah and Appleton West/Kimberly tied at 243, Sturgeon Bay 225.5, De Pere/West De Pere 176, Green Bay West Co-op 169, Pulaski 145.5 and Appleton East 47.
Sturgeon Bay Results
(Event: place, swimmer[s], time)
• 200 medley relay: third; Maggie Ripp, Abi Schauske, Cassie Rankin, Christy Braun; 1:54.73
• 200 individual medley: third, Christy Braun, 2:10.70
• 50 freestyle: fifth, Phoebe Bissen, :25.83; 13th, Natalia Michalski, :27.30
• 100 butterfly: 10th, Phoebe Bissen, 1:03.21
• 100 freestyle: seventh, Cassie Rankin, :57.42; 14th, Danica Neville, :59.72
• 200 freestyle relay: second; Cassie Rankin, Phoebe Bissen, Sanya Wienke, Christy Braun; 1:42.58
• 100 backstroke: fifth, Maggie Ripp, 1:03.28; eighth, Danica Neville, 1:05.75; 10th, Brooke Strege, 1:07.44
• 100 breaststroke: fourth, Christy Braun, 1:07.12; 11th, Sanya Wienke, 1:17.73
• 400 freestyle relay: eighth; Phoebe Bissen, Danica Neville, Natalia Michalski, Sanya Wienke; 3:59.08