Summer Smoothies with The Getaway Car Organic Juice Bar in Door County
By Brittany Jordt
Summer’s in full swing and there’s no better way to cool off or reboot than with a smoothie. Whether you need a boost before or after a long work shift, are heading to the beach or just wandering around the county, a smoothie refreshes and replenishes energy stores.
Mary and Nick Nelson – owners of the The Getaway Car Organic Juice Bar Natural Foods & Farm to Kitchen Produce, which provides natural foods to individuals and restaurants around the county – share some ideas.
Mary’s 5 smoothie tips and ingredients to try:
1. Local berries. Buy them in bulk or pick your own and freeze for smoothies all year long.
2. Greens, such as spinach or kale. These can be thrown in the blender with fruit to help you easily and tastily reach your daily requirement of veggies. Kids will love “drinking their greens” this way!
3. Bee Pollen. A great supplement for those suffering with hay fever or lacking energy.
4. Coconut milk. Freeze it in ice cube trays and add to any smoothie for a frosty and creamy treat.
5. Watermelon. This tasty fruit has 10,000 IU of vitamin A per serving – more than carrots! And it’s versatile; it tastes great blended with anything, from mangoes to mint.
You can find Nick and Mary tucked into the Harbor Court Shops in Fish Creek, or by calling 920.868.3300. Track them down on Facebook at The Getaway Car.