• Primary elections for local municipal offices will be held Feb. 17. The League of Women Voters is hosting a candidate forum for those competing for Liberty Grove Town Supervisor and Chairman Monday, Feb. 2. The forum begins at 1:30 pm at the Liberty Grove Town Hall at 11161 Olde Stage Road, Sister Bay.
• The Door County Unit of Wisconsin Towns Association will meet Thursday, Jan. 29 at 7 pm at the Liberty Grove Town Hall.
• The Town of Sevastopol Ad Hoc Sesquicentennial Committee will meet Friday, Jan. 23 at 3 pm at the town meeting room at 4550 S. 57, Sturgeon bay.
• Garey Bies, 1st Assembly District representative, said he’ll introduce a bill to increase OWI penalties again this session. His bill would include jail time for first time offenders. “Let’s give them a taste of what you’re going to look forward to if you continue down this path.” Twenty-three states have laws that make it a criminal offense for first-time offenders.
Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen opposes making first-time offenses a crime.
“I don’t consider them criminals,” he said in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, “and I wouldn’t want them to be tagged that way for the rest of their lives for having made what can legitimately be called a mistake.”
• Bies is also prepping for a tough budget process as the state handles a $5 billion deficit. “We have to look at the essential services and fund them, then look at what non-essentials we can eliminate,” he said. “There are going to be those who will propose new taxes on things we never taxed before, but I don’t think we should try to tax our way out of this.”
• Producers of Feed the Fish, a film set to shoot in Door County in February, are still seeking crew. Makeup, hair design, costume, grip and electric, wardrobe and other positions are sought. Contact [email protected] with résumé or experience.
• City of Sturgeon Bay property owners are reminded that they are responsible for keeping sidewalks in front of their property free of snow and ice. Property owners are also instructed not to deposit snow or ice from private property onto city right-of-ways, alleys, parking lots, or other property.
• Building inspectors in the Town of Liberty Grove are available for questions and permits Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 – 10 am. For an inspection on an existing permit call 800.422.5220. Blank permits can be picked up during regular office hours at the town hall.