• Sister Bay’s planning commission continued to look at commercial proposals for public access to the Waterfront Park and marina. The village is encouraging the use of the property for motorized and silent sport recreation. Those with proposals should email administrator Robert Kufrin at [email protected].
• Chicago’s bid for the 2016 Summer Olympic games now officially includes Wisconsin venues. Should the Windy City win the right to host the games (a decision will be made in October) cycling events would be centered in Madison. Mountain biking would be held at Tyrol Basin ski area in Mount Horeb, WI.
• Egg Harbor held an informational hearing about its $7.9 million marina reconstruction proposal Jan. 21. A $1.185 million grant from the Wisconsin Waterways Commission will offset the cost if the plan is approved in a Feb. 17 referendum.
• Representatives from the Door County Tourism Zone Commission discussed how Sturgeon Bay will be integrated into the intergovernmental agreement that collects a county-wide room tax Jan. 20. The informational hearing was held at Sturgeon Bay City Hall to answer business-owner’s questions about how the commission operates.
• Jan Scoville became the new director of Neighbor-to-Neighbor Volunteer Caregivers, taking over for Sandi Blevins. Neighbor-to-Neighbor provides used rehabilitation equipment – such as wheelchairs, canes, crutches and more – free of charge to those in need.
• An informal survey of the economic impact of Steel Bridge SongFest done by the UW-Extension office showed the festival is benefitting many Sturgeon Bay businesses. Sam Perlman of the Door County Economic Development Corporation, which helped produce the survey, said the telephone survey wasn’t comprehensive but gave helpful feedback.
“It’s an opportunity to evaluate the perceived economic value to the community of the event,” he said. The overall response was very positive, with venues reporting much higher returns and some retailers saying they saw increased business the week of the festival. The primary negative was that some people want greater accountability and reporting on the part of organizers.