Dear Mary Pat,
I have a friend who texts after too many cocktails. It’s amusing, but I’m afraid he might say the wrong thing to someone. Once he hits “send,” he can’t take it back. When his spelling and punctuation are really off, that’s when I know he’s had a couple. Do you have any advice for him?
Tipsy Texting in Sister Bay
Dear Tipsy Texting,
Your friend is participating in an activity that is fairly common, I’m guessing. That doesn’t mean it’s a great idea, though. Apart from stopping altogether, here are some things to keep in mind the next time you want to communicate with someone via text while blotto:
1) What seems hilarious to you might not seem so to the friend receiving your messages.
2) Texting your ex while drinking should never happen. Ever. Nothing good will come of it.
3) Autocorrect is responsible for mixed messages when alcohol is not involved. The risk of your words changing before you’ve properly edited is high. Autocorrect might make what you meant to say even worse than your booze-addled brain intended.
4) Even if you’re drinking, try to pick up on social cues. Does the recipient stop answering you? Or maybe even types, “Stop texting me!”? That’s a clue that your texts are inappropriate or they have been sent at an inappropriate time.
5) Definition of “inappropriate time” is anything after 10 pm unless you happen to know your friend is either a night owl or works the graveyard shift.