In anticipation of the seventh bi-annual Door Kewaunee Legislative Days to be held April 15-16, the Legislative Days Steering Committee is seeking suggestions for agenda items to take to Madison. Anyone can submit an issue.
Legislative Days consists of organizing a delegation of more than 100 citizens from Door and Kewaunee counties to travel to Madison for two major purposes:
1. Educate state officials and legislators on an accurate picture of Door and Kewaunee counties, and dispel the widespread misperception in Madison that we are a uniformly wealthy, problem-free area.
2. Lobby for assistance from Madison that will help address issues, projects and opportunities that are uniquely special to Door and Kewaunee counties.
An ideal issue for Door Kewaunee Legislative Days fits the following criteria:
• The issue should be local and have unique implications for Door and Kewaunee counties.
• The issue should enjoy broad community support.
• The issue should exceed the local capacity to deal with it. We need to show we have done all we can to resolve the issue, but some type of state action or support is needed.
In addition to issues and concerns, list any specific actions you feel the state could take to assist in resolving any identified issues. These actions could in the form of specific legislation, budget items, rule changes, changes to grant programs, or policies.
The Legislative Days Steering Committee will review all items submitted by the community to assemble the final agenda.
Deadline to submit an issue for consideration is Feb. 16. You can find the survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2015LegDays. The survey is being sent to all nonprofits, business associations and local units of government.