News From This Week’s Past: July 7 – 14

All items are from the Door County Library’s newspaper archives, and they appear in the same form as they were first published, including misspellings and grammatical errors.

The Expositor, July 3, 1874

Dead-beats and sneak thieves are around, get your shot guns ready.


The Independent, July 2, 1886

Mr. Corson of the Wisconsin Telephone Co., has been in the city the past week superintending the laying of new cables across the Bay. Two new cables covered with a double waterproofing of rubber have been put in to take the place of the old one that has been such a source of annoyance the last few months. Conversation can now be readily carried on with Oshkosh, while heretofore it has almost been impossible to communicate with Green Bay.


The Republican, June 30, 1892

Notice to Mariners.

Notice is hereby given that, on and after July 1, 1892, during thick or foggy weather, a bell will be sounded from the bell tower recently erected at Sherwood Point light station, south side of the entrance from Green Bay into Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. The tower is a square pyramidal structure about 25 feet high, the lower part painted white, the upper buff, shingled with bright red roof, and is situated about 18 feet N.N.E. of light tower. The bell will be struck by machinery a single blow every 12 seconds. By Order of the Lighthouse Board.


Door County Democrat, July 4, 1903

Some twenty heads of families in the second ward have combined and bought $40 worth of fire works with which to amuse the youngsters in that part of the city, on the evening of the fourth. There will be quite a grand display, from the enjoyment of which no one will be barred.


Door County Democrat, July 2, 1915

Fishing Prohibited in Mud Bay.

A new law went into effect last Saturday which prohibits fishing with nets in Mud Bay, which is at the northern end of the peninsula, north of Baileys Harbor. It has been the practice in the past to fish for perch in this bay with gill nets, pound nets have also been used. As Mud Bay is also good for bass fishing grounds, the law was passed for the purpose of protecting the bass fishing there. Owners of property at that place objecting to the name of “Mud Bay,” have renamed it “Moonlight Bay.”


Door County News, July 6, 1922

Fake Minister Arrested

Donald Rogers is languishing in the county bastille, due to the watchfulness of Secretary Caffee of the Chamber of commerce.

Rev. Rogers blew in here last week and represented himself to be a Quaker minister whose mission was to establish a Quaker colony in this county.

The “reverend” gentleman stated that it was his purpose to purchase some property in this vicinity, where he would establish a colony of Quakers.

Of course the thing was to get donations from the business of the city to start the movement and get an option on the property. He collected about $50 when Secretary Caffee, learning of other places where the man claimed to have started the movement, he had wired in and found that he started the movement all right, collecting all he could and leaving.

He was arrested on Saturday on complaint of Dist. Attorney Stapleton, charged with obtaining money under false pretenses. It is the belief of the district attorney that he has been defrauding many communities and it is felt that it is time to put an end to his activities.


Door County News, July 8, 1938

Work on New Bridge in Park Starts Soon

Work on the new bridge which the state conservation department will construct to span the cut between Little Lake and Sturgeon bay in Sunset park, will be started within the next few days it was stated this week by Frank N. Graass. Two carloads of cement are already on the ground, stone and sand is being delivered, and as soon as the structural steel arrives it is expected work will be commenced. The bridge is included in the program undertaken by the conservation department to improve Little Lake as a small mouth black bass rearing pond, and will be constructed without cost to the city in any way.

Article Comments